6th Annual Mango Festival 2018: A quick review and sneak-peek
Where? Indira Gandhi Prathisthan, Gomtinagar, Lucknow
When? 17th June (Orchard Visit) and 23rd-24th June (The Festival)
What is it? A grand show of mangoes, orchard visit, delicacies, storytelling, quizzes and fun rides
Green orchards, a warm sunrise encapsulating soft dewy breeze, trees laden with ripe fruits, humming of birds and a fragrance that fills up the senses with delectable ecstasy. This is the world of mangoes every summer morning!
If you are among those who think of mangoes not just as a national fruit but as a bundle of sweet memories from childhood that have gone behind savouring it for consecutive summers, this is one event customised to your taste. The Annual Mango Festival 2018 is around the corner, tingling our taste buds to unlimited varieties of desi mangoes, already. You would have heard about Chausa, Langda, Dashahri, Alphonso or Safeda but it could only be here, in these few days, that you would get to taste Lakhnavi Gola, Tamancha, Lalbebaha (Wajid Ali Shah’s favourite), Ali Gauhar or Tarifi.
Why You Must Attend The Festival?
Amongst tens of reasons that the festival may claim its stake on, here are few really unmissable ones:-
(1) Orchard Visit:
Scheduled on the 17th of June 2018 is an Orchard visit to the Abbasi Orcahrd at Kakori. A rare opportunity to feel the exemplary experience of orchard farming first hand, as well interacting with the farmers whose produce we relish without even getting to thank them once. Here’s the chance! Besides, the organisers promise a special Awadhi breakfast, tractor and horse rides across the farm, some fun contests and historic tour with informative inputs on organic farming. Platter costs -- non-veg @Rs. 500/-, veg. platter @Rs. 400, children platter @Rs. 300/- and no charges for kids below five years of age.
(2) The Mango Diversity Fair at Lucknow is in association with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research and CISH, creating an interface between farmers and scientists to share their best practices with us. Also, getting us to taste rare local mangoes, around 700 varieties unavailable anywhere else across the country, is equally fascinating. The cost of mangoes range from Rs. 50/- per kilo to a few hundreds at the most. There are no gate entry or parking charges.
(3) Being a part pf enthralling cultural events like Aam ki Kahaani-Awaam ki Zubaani, Zikr-E-Aam, Qissagoi on Aam, local folk music and dances and the Mango Food Festival with top Lucknow restaurants and home chefs participating. There’d be Cooking Contest judged by Masterchef Pankaj Bhadouria, JD Institute Lucknow showcasing Mango influence in design, rural innovators by Swatantra Talim, Jams made by rural self help group, Saidanpuri enabled by Awadh Mango Growers and Baankeloom as highlights of the event.
And if that isn’t enough a reason, you would also get to indulge in Mango Pakoris, Kulfi, Salsa, Souffle, Pickles and Drinks, apart from regular fun shows like rope swings, horse rides, quizzes and contests.
What you must watch out for?
(1) The Summer Heat: This is the peak of summer season in Uttar Pradesh and with the unforgiving sunny weather, do take precautions before staying outdoors for long. Use sunscreen, wear loose cotton dresses coupled with sunglasses and a hat for added protection, keep yourself hydrated and take shelter of the indoor activities in the festival between 12 noon to 3 pm.
(2) Park your car safely: The festival attracts huge crowd often leading to a long queue in the parking zone, especially during evenings. Be patient and park your vehicle only in the zone identified to avoid chaotic condition.
(3) Prior registration for the contests: If you want to participate in any of the contests being organised at the festival, do send in your names to the Organisers beforehand. (Quick link for online registration is here.) The on-spot registration counter is often found crowded and you might have a tough time getting through.
( (4) Experiment with care: The array of unlimited display of mangoes at reasonable prices gets so tempting that one does not want to miss any bulk purchasing. Don’t miss interacting with the vendors about the durability of freshness of bulk purchasing, if made, and simultaneously be wise in your picks.
This summer season, there can’t be a better way to relive old memories and create new ones with your children. Why, does it not take just Two To Mango? Go, Relish!
|(Author with Jyotsana Kaur Habibullah raising|
a toast to Mango Cocktails)
The Mango Fest team is led by Ms Jyotsana Kaur Habibullah. They may be contacted for queries at :-
Phone - +91 7317477232
website - www.http://upmangofestival.org/
facebook - Mango Fest Page
First time I am visiting your site. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work. So I am regular user of this site. All the stories you shared here are interesting and excellent. It helps to boost the knowledge. Thank you so much and please keep sharing such informative post in future. It is easy to get pan card online application in order to apply for a pan card and also one can track the status of pan card once it is applied.ReplyDelete
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. mango chilli sauceReplyDelete